Caring too much about others is bad for your mental health. I mean, just look at your facebook feed. It is full of everyone having the time of their lives while you are watching the new episode of shameless— shamefully indulging in that thing you said was bad for your health.
Today’s consumer culture is sucking us all in to care about the things that aren’t even important when it really comes down to it. We focus on what we don’t have instead of being grateful for what we do. You see, back in the day when you felt like your life sucks, you say, “well shit, today sucks. Oh well, tomorrow will be better” and then get back to whatever you were doing. Nowadays, it seems like the second you are having a shitty day, you are immediately engulfed in pictures and videos of others having the time of their life. We need to stop looking at other peoples highlight reels and comparing it to our own lives. Fact is, people are only adding the less than 1% of their lives where something remotely cool is happening and the other 99% of the time goes to regular life stuff you and I deal with and often even worse. What do you think the correlation is between people showing off on social media and loneliness? The desire for attention when no one is paying attention.
The 21st century is unlike any other. We can have groceries delivered, stream any song from any era and see our families via facetime from across the globe, while driving in a snow storm. How is it that anxiety and depression has gone up so high over the last decade when we literally have infinite opportunities and smart tv’s? I would say it is because we have so much that we naturally think about what we don’t have. Suicides are sky high in people who have it all and so low in countries suffering from a lack of a sewer system. How the hell is that even real? Is it because we just can’t get enough? Do we even know how shitty life could be if we weren’t born into this country?
I know what you are thinking, “well, what is the answer then Aj?” I think the answer is to continue to push for your dreams, but being grateful you don’t have ISIS rebel knocking at your door. Continue to leverage innovation, but appreciate the readily available water and hot food. Finally, what I think the number one thing we can do to be in a better mental place, is to find a way to never criticize, condemn or complain, because life is about energy and you have the choice to decide what type you will allow into this world.